Monday, April 30, 2012

Blessed Beltane






To those of you who don't know me, I'm Wiccan.  And today is Beltane or Beltaine depending on how you spell it.  It will sometimes be referred to as May Day to some. I have not been practicing for a long time, but I knew from a very early age that the conventional way of thinking made no sense to me.  And eventually I realized that everything Wicca stands for is what I believe in as well.  

As Mike Nichols wrote on his website  http://deoxy.org/time/sabbats/05-04.htm

In the words of Witchcraft writers Janet and Stewart Farrar, the Beltane celebration was principally a time of '...unashamed human sexuality and fertility.' 

Such associations include the obvious phallic symbolism of the Maypole and riding the hobby horse. Even a seemingly innocent children's nursery rhyme, 'Ride a cock horse to Banburry Cross...' retains such memories. 

And the next line '...to see a fine Lady on a white horse' is a reference to the annual ride of 'Lady Godiva' though Coventry. 

Every year for nearly three centuries, a sky-clad village maiden (elected Queen of the May) enacted this Pagan rite, until the Puritans put an end to the custom. 

And so I say to all of you who man think of this as just the beginning of another month, go out and see what beauty lies waiting for you.  

Find that renewed vigor for a loved one you thought had gone out with the spring rain...and most of all, love like there is no tomorrow and today is full of nothing but promise.

Blessed be.

-TheOnlineStalker 


0 comments:

Total Page Visits